Churches

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 70» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...





St. Thomas, Ashton in Makerfield

A chapel of ease to St Oswald, Winwick is recorded on the site in 1515; this chapel was rebuilt in 1714. The new chapel, which had a cruciform plan, was consecrated in 1746. It was enlarged in 1782, and again in 1815. This chapel was in Georgian style. The present church was built in 1891–93, and was designed by F. H. Oldham of Manchester, providing seating for about 500 people. The church was consecrated on 6 July 1893 by the Rt Revd J. C. Ryle, Bishop of Liverpool. In 1929–30 the Lancaster architect Henry Paley of Austin and Paley added a new vestry at a cost of £506 (£56,000 as of 2015). The tower originally had a saddleback roof, but this was removed in the 1960s.


File nameStThomasAshtoninMakerfield.jpg
File Size95.79k
Dimensions986 x 465
Linked toMarriage

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 70» Next»     » Slide Show




Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources