Churches

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 70» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...





St. Wilfrid, Standish

The church is first mentioned in 1205 but the vast extent of the ancient parish with its eleven townships (Adlington, Anderton, Charnock Richard, Coppull, Duxbury, Heath Charnock, Langtree, Shevington, Standish, Welch Whittle and Worthington) points to a very early foundation. The church is believed to have been constructed between 1582 and 1584 and designed by L. Shipway. It is in a blended Gothic and Renaissance style.

During the 20th century the Lancaster architects Austin and Paley carried out work on the church. In 1913–14 they added vestries at the east end of the church, and in 1926 they built a gatehouse at the entrance to the churchyard. The gatehouse is listed separately from the church at Grade II. The architects also supervised minor additions and repairs to the church in 1932 and 1939.


File nameSt Wilfrid Standish.jpg
File Size58.18k
Dimensions384 x 512
Linked toFamily: Shaw/Pollitt (F449)

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 70» Next»     » Slide Show




Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources