Churches

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 70» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...





St. Catharine's, Scholes

The church was built in 1839–41 and designed by the Lancaster architect Edmund Sharpe. It was a Commissioners' church costing £3,180 (£250,000 in 2015). A grant of £962 was given towards its cost by the Church Building Commission. The land for the church was given by John Woodcock of Springfield Hall; it was originally a chapel of ease. The church was consecrated on 6 June 1841 by Rt Revd John Bird Sumner, Bishop of Chester. In about 1860 the name "Catherine" was changed to "Catharine" and this spelling has continued to be used until the present. About the same time it was discovered that the church was built on a geological fault and that, as a result of coal mining in the area, the west end of the church had moved, causing the spire to lean and twist. Repairs were necessary and these were assisted by contributions from local collieries. In 1864 the church acquired full status as a parish church.


File nameSt Catharine's Scholes.jpg
File Size54.03k
Dimensions1000 x 795
Linked toBaptism; Baptism; Fitzpatrick, Ellen; Taylor, William

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 70» Next»     » Slide Show




Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources