Shaw, Sarah Elsie[1, 2]

Female 1895 - 1983  (87 years)


Personal Information    |    Media    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Shaw, Sarah Elsie 
    Born 18 Nov 1895  Orrell, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Gender Female 
    Baptism 6 Jan 1896  All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Occupation 1911 Colliery Screenhand Surface 
    Died Jun 1983  Wigan, Greater Manchester, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Person ID I770  Shaw_Family
    Last Modified 13 Feb 2015 

    Father Shaw, John,   b. 22 Sep 1870, Orrell, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Mother Unsworth, Elizabeth,   b. 22 Sep 1871, Pemberton, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married 9 Feb 1895  St. John the Divine, Pemberton, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [6
    Marriage Documents
    John Shaw & Elizabeth Unsworth
    John Shaw & Elizabeth Unsworth
    Marriage Certificate
    Family ID F314  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Rimmer, David,   b. 1898, Upholland, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married 3 Jun 1922  St Matthew, Highfield, Pemberton, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [7
    Last Modified 13 Feb 2015 
    Family ID F584  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Baptisms
    Sarah Elsie Shaw
    Sarah Elsie Shaw
    Baptism

    Churches
    All Saints Church, Wigan
    All Saints Church, Wigan
    The Parish Church of All Saints is the oldest church in Wigan, but the actual date of its establishment is uncertain. It is possible that the earliest church was built in the time of Edward the Confessor (1042066). It was certainly in existence before 1199 when Ranulf is recorded as being the first known Rector.

    The Parish of Wigan, for many years, covered a large area, including Pemberton, Billinge, Winstanley, Orrell, Upholland, Dalton, Ince, Hindley, Abram, Haigh and Aspull. It covered and area of 29,033 acres, and until the foundation of a chapel at Upholland by Sir Robert de Holland in 1307, Wigan parish Church was the only church in the area.

    Since 1880, Wigan has been in the Diocese of Liverpool, but in previous years it has been part of the dioceses of York, Lichfield and Chester.

    The present building dates from 1845, when the church was rebuilt, very much in the same style as the building it replaced. The work was completed in 1850. However, in 1898-1902 further restoration work was necessary.

    In 1922, the Tower was completely restored. This part of the church had not been rebuilt or restored previously. Further repairs were done at the end of the Second World War, in 1947, and finally completed in 1957. Even more work was undertaken after the Millennium, and the Parish strives constantly to preserve this ancient, beautiful and much-loved building.

  • Sources 
    1. [S919] 1901 England Census.

    2. [S2197] 1911 England Census.

    3. [S4886] Birth.

    4. [S4502] England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975.

    5. [S6041] Death.

    6. [S777] Marriage.

    7. [S6040] Marriage.


Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources