Ashcroft, Alice[1, 2]

Female 1894 -


Personal Information    |    Media    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Ashcroft, Alice 
    Born 12 Oct 1894  Hindley, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Gender Female 
    Baptism 5 Nov 1894  All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Occupation 1911 Weaver Cotton 
    Person ID I505  Shaw_Family
    Last Modified 15 Feb 2014 

    Father Ashcroft, George,   b. 17 Dec 1861, Orrell, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Sep 1940, Chorley, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 78 years) 
    Mother Kennedy, Mary,   b. 15 Oct 1863, Wigan, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Sep 1940, Chorley, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 76 years) 
    Married Jan 1885  Wigan, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Family ID F30  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Churches
    All Saints Church, Wigan
    All Saints Church, Wigan
    The Parish Church of All Saints is the oldest church in Wigan, but the actual date of its establishment is uncertain. It is possible that the earliest church was built in the time of Edward the Confessor (1042066). It was certainly in existence before 1199 when Ranulf is recorded as being the first known Rector.

    The Parish of Wigan, for many years, covered a large area, including Pemberton, Billinge, Winstanley, Orrell, Upholland, Dalton, Ince, Hindley, Abram, Haigh and Aspull. It covered and area of 29,033 acres, and until the foundation of a chapel at Upholland by Sir Robert de Holland in 1307, Wigan parish Church was the only church in the area.

    Since 1880, Wigan has been in the Diocese of Liverpool, but in previous years it has been part of the dioceses of York, Lichfield and Chester.

    The present building dates from 1845, when the church was rebuilt, very much in the same style as the building it replaced. The work was completed in 1850. However, in 1898-1902 further restoration work was necessary.

    In 1922, the Tower was completely restored. This part of the church had not been rebuilt or restored previously. Further repairs were done at the end of the Second World War, in 1947, and finally completed in 1957. Even more work was undertaken after the Millennium, and the Parish strives constantly to preserve this ancient, beautiful and much-loved building.

  • Sources 
    1. [S51] 1901 England Census.

    2. [S2193] 1911 England Census.

    3. [S467] Birth.

    4. [S4347] England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975.

    5. [S709] Marriage.


Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources