Lancaster, William[1, 2]

Male 1869 - 1944  (~ 75 years)


Personal Information    |    Media    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Lancaster, William 
    Born Jan 1869  Pemberton, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Gender Male 
    Baptism 15 Feb 1869  All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Occupation 1911 Labourer - Foundry Colliery 
    Died Apr 1944  Wigan, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Person ID I501  Shaw_Family
    Last Modified 21 Dec 2013 

    Family 1 Fearnley, Ellen,   b. 25 Jul 1874, Pemberton, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Jun 1956, Wigan, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 81 years) 
    Married 27 May 1901  St. John the Divine, Pemberton, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location  [6
    Last Modified 14 Aug 2013 
    Family ID F322  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Smith, Mary,   b. 1868, Liverpool, Lancashire, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1891  (Age 23 years) 
    Last Modified 10 Feb 2019 
    Family ID F357  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Churches
    All Saints Church, Wigan
    All Saints Church, Wigan
    The Parish Church of All Saints is the oldest church in Wigan, but the actual date of its establishment is uncertain. It is possible that the earliest church was built in the time of Edward the Confessor (1042066). It was certainly in existence before 1199 when Ranulf is recorded as being the first known Rector.

    The Parish of Wigan, for many years, covered a large area, including Pemberton, Billinge, Winstanley, Orrell, Upholland, Dalton, Ince, Hindley, Abram, Haigh and Aspull. It covered and area of 29,033 acres, and until the foundation of a chapel at Upholland by Sir Robert de Holland in 1307, Wigan parish Church was the only church in the area.

    Since 1880, Wigan has been in the Diocese of Liverpool, but in previous years it has been part of the dioceses of York, Lichfield and Chester.

    The present building dates from 1845, when the church was rebuilt, very much in the same style as the building it replaced. The work was completed in 1850. However, in 1898-1902 further restoration work was necessary.

    In 1922, the Tower was completely restored. This part of the church had not been rebuilt or restored previously. Further repairs were done at the end of the Second World War, in 1947, and finally completed in 1957. Even more work was undertaken after the Millennium, and the Parish strives constantly to preserve this ancient, beautiful and much-loved building.

  • Sources 
    1. [S1516] 1901 England Census.

    2. [S2195] 1911 England Census.

    3. [S3844] Birth.

    4. [S539] Baptism.

    5. [S1520] Death.

    6. [S1518] Marriage.


Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources