Churches


Matches 1 to 50 of 70     » Thumbnails Only    » Slide Show

    1 2 Next»

 #   Thumb   Description   Linked to 
1
All Saints Church, Wigan
All Saints Church, Wigan
The Parish Church of All Saints is the oldest church in Wigan, but the actual date of its establishment is uncertain. It is possible that the earliest church was built in the time of Edward the Confessor (1042066). It was certainly in existence before 1199 when Ranulf is recorded as being the first known Rector.

The Parish of Wigan, for many years, covered a large area, including Pemberton, Billinge, Winstanley, Orrell, Upholland, Dalton, Ince, Hindley, Abram, Haigh and Aspull. It covered and area of 29,033 acres, and until the foundation of a chapel at Upholland by Sir Robert de Holland in 1307, Wigan parish Church was the only church in the area.

Since 1880, Wigan has been in the Diocese of Liverpool, but in previous years it has been part of the dioceses of York, Lichfield and Chester.

The present building dates from 1845, when the church was rebuilt, very much in the same style as the building it replaced. The work was completed in 1850. However, in 1898-1902 further restoration work was necessary.

In 1922, the Tower was completely restored. This part of the church had not been rebuilt or restored previously. Further repairs were done at the end of the Second World War, in 1947, and finally completed in 1957. Even more work was undertaken after the Millennium, and the Parish strives constantly to preserve this ancient, beautiful and much-loved building. 
 
2
All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne
All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne
 
 
3
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
 
4
Christ Church, Crookham
Christ Church, Crookham
 
 
5
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
 
6
Eppleton Church
Eppleton Church
A brick-built late Victorian Church topped by a gilded weather-cock. The church is full of brightly coloured stained glass windows, tapestry kneelers, banners and paintings, much of this work made by members of the congregation. The Church's close links with the mining community are shown by the display of the Lodge banner and miners' lamps.  
 
7
First United Church St. Catherines, Ontario
First United Church St. Catherines, Ontario
 
 
8
Holy Family Roman Catholic Church, Mossend
Holy Family Roman Catholic Church, Mossend
 
 
9
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
 
10
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
 
11
Macdonald Memorial Church, Bellshill
Macdonald Memorial Church, Bellshill
 
 
12
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
 
13
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
 
14
Parish Church, Coldstream
Parish Church, Coldstream
 
 
15
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
 
16
South Dalziel Church
South Dalziel Church
 
 
17
St John the Evangelist
St John the Evangelist
Church 
 
18
St Mary and St Peter
St Mary and St Peter
Church 
 
19
St. Aidans, Gateshead
St. Aidans, Gateshead
 
 
20
St. Albans, Earsdon
St. Albans, Earsdon
 
 
21
St. Andrew's Church, Auckland
St. Andrew's Church, Auckland
 
 
22
St. Andrew's Church, Cobham
St. Andrew's Church, Cobham
 
 
23
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
 
24
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
 
25
St. Barnabas, Bournmoor
St. Barnabas, Bournmoor
 
 
26
St. Barnabas, Edinburgh
St. Barnabas, Edinburgh
 
 
27
St. Bride’s Church, Glasgow
St. Bride’s Church, Glasgow
 
 
28
St. Catharine's, Scholes
St. Catharine's, Scholes
The church was built in 1839–41 and designed by the Lancaster architect Edmund Sharpe. It was a Commissioners' church costing £3,180 (£250,000 in 2015). A grant of £962 was given towards its cost by the Church Building Commission. The land for the church was given by John Woodcock of Springfield Hall; it was originally a chapel of ease. The church was consecrated on 6 June 1841 by Rt Revd John Bird Sumner, Bishop of Chester. In about 1860 the name "Catherine" was changed to "Catharine" and this spelling has continued to be used until the present. About the same time it was discovered that the church was built on a geological fault and that, as a result of coal mining in the area, the west end of the church had moved, causing the spire to lean and twist. Repairs were necessary and these were assisted by contributions from local collieries. In 1864 the church acquired full status as a parish church. 
 
29
St. Clement's, Dundee
St. Clement's, Dundee
 
 
30
St. Cuthbert's, Edinburgh
St. Cuthbert's, Edinburgh
 
 
31
St. Cuthbert, Blaydon
St. Cuthbert, Blaydon
 
 
32
St. Cuthberts, Darlington
St. Cuthberts, Darlington
 
 
33
St. Edmund's, Gateshead
St. Edmund's, Gateshead
 
 
34
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
 
35
St. Hild & St. Helen, Dawdon
St. Hild & St. Helen, Dawdon
Sadly, this church passed into redundancy on 01/01/2008. 
 
36
St. Hilda's Church at South Shields
St. Hilda's Church at South Shields
 
 
37
St. James, Gorton
St. James, Gorton
 
 
38
St. John the Divine, Pemberton
St. John the Divine, Pemberton
The church was built between 1830 and 1832 to a design by Thomas Rickman and Henry Hutchinson. 
['More Links'] 
39
St. John the Evangelist, Abram
St. John the Evangelist, Abram
 
 
40
St. John the Evangelist, Ravenhead
St. John the Evangelist, Ravenhead
 
 
41
St. John, Seaham Harbour
St. John, Seaham Harbour
 
 
42
St. Johns Church, Percy Main
St. Johns Church, Percy Main
 
 
43
St. Judes Church, South Shields
St. Judes Church, South Shields
 
 
44
St. Margarets Church, Castletown
St. Margarets Church, Castletown
 
 
45
St. Mark, Newtown
St. Mark, Newtown
St. Mark’s Church is an evangelical Anglican church based in the Newtown area of Wigan, part of the Diocese of Liverpool.  
 
46
St. Mary & St. Cuthbert Church
St. Mary & St. Cuthbert Church
 
 
47
St. Mary the Virgin, Prescot
St. Mary the Virgin, Prescot
It is possible that there has been a church on this site from pre-Norman times. The church is first mentioned in records of 1140. At least two buildings are known to have been on this site. Most of the building that stands here today dates from 1610. Two of the main benefactors of the rebuild, John Ogle and Sir John Bold, are commemorated on the beams of the black oak collar and hammer beam roof of the nave. John Ogle also donated a fine black oak chair and has the only tomb effigy to remain in the church. The XIV century tower that had been built in 1393, with a bequest of £10 from the rector John Fairfax, was in such poor condition in 1727 that it was replaced by a tower and spire at a cost of £455. The new tower and spire had problems with both severe storms and structural stresses. The spire was rebuilt in 1798 and the tower and spire strengthened and restored in 1992. The only part of the medieval building to remain is the small north vestry. This church is the only Grade One listed building in the Borough of Knowsley. 
 
48
St. Mary's Heworth
St. Mary's Heworth
 
 
49
St. Marys Cathedral, Edinburgh
St. Marys Cathedral, Edinburgh
 
 
50
St. Matthew's, Ashford, Middlesex
St. Matthew's, Ashford, Middlesex
 
 

    1 2 Next»

Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources